Tuesday, March 9, 2010

DP-Mid-Semester Summary!

So I began my senior degree project with the intention of using a logical method of educating people about the atrocities of the meat industry. I found that the emotional appeal that most animal rights groups assert to be restricting their message.
Somewhere through my journey of making infographics and trying to find the context that they would be displayed in I got lost...

I started my explorations with displaying quantities to communicate the sheer mass of resources that are used to produce meat. From there I moved on to thinking about the different ways of showing one set of information through simple bar graphs, to actual quantity, and layering. Then I got into the idea of context, where is the viewer going to in counter the information, how is it going to interact with the environment etc, so I did some explorations of environmental graphics that would be seen in a store type setting. But none of this seem to be going anywhere so I started looking at why I started this project and what I was originally trying to communicate.















I started looking at the images that had inspired this project and I realized that I don’t want to do environmental graphics and I had been so worried about the context that I was losing sight of what the purpose of the entire project was. The content that I have been working on in this process is the same but I’ve decided to focus on speaking to an individual instead of trying to communicate to a large group of people. I want to create a kit that someone would receive perhaps through the mail that gives them the graphic information along with information about what they can do to make a difference. It would have the graphic, and supporting materials that would show what they can do and also show how simple it is to do. It’s not about going vegetarian or vegan it’s about making a choice to not support the meat industry.

No comments: